Frequently Asked Questions

What is involved in buying a house/apartment?

Buying a house can be a daunting experience even for investors. There seems to be so much paperwork, delays, forms to fill in, phone calls to make. Because buying a house is such a large investment for most people they need the help of professionals who know their way around the system. Your financial adviser can help you get the best rate on a loan. Your bank can offer you competitive financing as well. Your solicitor is here to help you make the process as smooth and easy as possible. We do this in a number of ways. See our Mission Statement for information on the service we give our clients. Click on the 4 stages of buying property for more information.

Will I pay stamp duty?

First time buyers of property are exempt from stamp duty. However, even if you are not a first time buyer you can sometimes claim exemptions from stamp duty if you are the owner occupier of a new house or apartment.The rules about stamp duty are intricate and are subject to change so it is best to ask in your particular case. Contact us or click on newsletter for more information

Why is there so much paperwork when I buy or sell a property?

Buying or selling a house can be time consuming because there are documents that you need to have in order to get a good title. Contracts, building agreements, planning information and statutory declarations are all part of good title . Your lender, if you are getting a loan, requires us to certify that the title is good. They are entitled to rely on this so it protects your interests as well as ours - we make sure you are getting good title so when you come to sell there will be no problems.

How much does it cost to buy or sell a house?

That depends on the value of the house. Most solicitors base their charges on the value of the property. However if the title is very straightforward you can sometimes pay less. Contact us for a quote on buying or selling a property.

Why does it seem to take so long to buy a house?

Many people think that the homebuying process could be quicker. However, it is worth bearing in mind that this is a big investment and is worth getting it right from the start. This means there will be no unpleasant surprises when you come to sell. Most homebuyers have to deal with a bank or building society, financial adviser, solicitor, insurance agent.There is a process that has to be followed to make sure everyones interest is protected. This means you can sell the property quickly and without problems.

How long will it take before I can move in?

This depends on whether you are buying a new house or a second hand house. If the house is new you might have signed contracts subject to the house being built. If so, you must wait until the builder issues you a notice that the house is completed. If the house has been already built you can generally expect to be in occupation approximately 8-10 weeks after paying your booking deposit. This of course depends on the paperwork being in order.

I am interested in buying a property to rent

Many people nowadays are buying second properties to rent. This makes good sense from a financial planning point of view. Many people buy a second property to supplement their pensions and provide an income in retirement. The past few years have seen good returns for investors as far as rising property values are concerned. The rental market remains solid, due to the number of workers coming to this country from abroad, as well as the numbers of young people moving to take up new jobs. Contact us for more information or advice on buying an investment property. You also need to take into account stamp duty when buying a second house. See Whats new for stamp duty rates.

What do I need to do to sell a house?

Selling a house is relatively straightforward if you are registered as owner of the property. Because of the housing boom it takes at least two years for the Land Registry to register titles.Sometimes your name is not on the title deeds when you come to sell. In this case you are selling as beneficial owner. This means we must show prior title to a buyer. This can add to delays.

What is the difference between registered and un registered property?

Registered property is registered in the Land Registry. If you have a document showing your name as the owner it makes everything much simpler. You don’t need to go back further than your purchase to show title. Most rural land, and new houses are registered. Older property in towns and cities, particularly Dublin is unregistered. This means you must show title to the property going back at least 40 years to establish good title. In some cases , documents can go back as far is the the 18th Century. This adds a great deal to the work of selling a house as all documents have to be copied and gone through.

What do I do when someone dies?

When a family member, parent or spouse dies there are a number of legal requirements in getting the deceaseds assets transferred from one name to another. This is generally a difficult time for family members and the process of extracting a Grant – or title to a persons estate is quite slow. It depends on whether the person has made a will or not. The length of time it takes also depends on the amount of assets, shares etc in the deceaseds name. There are also tax implications which need to be looked at , and in some cases, inheritance tax to pay. Contact us for more information

Why should I make a will?

It is a good idea to make a will if you wish to leave specific bequests to people, for example friends, or family. If you are unmarried your partner has no automatic right of succession if, for example , you own a house together. There are inheritance tax implications in any bequests. Likewise there may be complications if you have children. It is a simple inexpensive process to make a will. Contact us for more information or advice on a specific case.